Friday, May 8, 2020

What's Growing In My Backyard - Alison

To tell you the truth, my backyard is a bit of a mess! We have pulled out an old trellis and garden shed. It is a work in progress and we haven’t developed a lot of usable garden yet. The most exciting part is the plans I have in my head! However, we do have a small veggie patch and a few extra spaces. I have shared a video of the veggie garden. My cabbages had a narrow escape because I noticed white butterflies landing on them. On close inspection, there were about 50 eggs which would have developed into Hungry Caterpillars if I hadn’t removed them! I have also shared a video of my passionfruit vine which has produced about 55 passionfruit this year. This is a bit of a miracle as I don’t pay it any attention except for throwing some seaweed fertiliser over it once or twice in the summer. I think I am an accidental gardener!

My Veggie Garden!

      


My Passionfruit Vine


      

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing What's in Your Backyard Alison. I have to say Alison you mention you're an accidental gardener but things look pretty organised. Great innovative idea to use wool sacks for your garden. I use mine to put garden rubbish in. I'm curious as to what you do with your caterpillars when you remove them. I like your Passion fruit vine. What do you make out of your passion fruits? I'm glad you have weeds to they're a bit of an issue in my garden. Elizabeth K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardening is quite a feudal enterprise, no quarter given to things that want to eat the greens! Unfortunately white butterfly eggs don't survive if you remove them from the host plant using a firm squeeze and sideways swipe! I have a few uses for my passionfruit pulp which I freeze in icecube trays for using later. I put it into lemoncurd when I make it, which makes a tasty filling in a rolled pavlova or in a lemon meringue pie. I also make a passionfruit syrup to use as an icecream topping. Yes Elizabeth, I have lots of weeds (I didn't film all of them!).

      Delete
  2. Hi Alison, I really like you idea of growing plants in a wool sack! Maybe I can use the hay sacks that I get the hay fr the guinea pigs in! Your garden looks so tidy and amazing! Mine is a real winter mess at the moment but I have enough silverbeet, parsley and re-growing cabbages to feed the guinea pigs so they are happy! You have inspired me though and my next free weekend I will tidy up my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alison, thanks for sharing what's growing in your backyard. I was also quite impressed about how organised your garden is. I am a real fan of passion fruit, but haven't tasted the yellow ones- do they taste just as good?

    ReplyDelete
  4. When did you start growing the viges

    ReplyDelete